The European Union has undergone major changes in the last decade, including Treaty reform, and a significant expansion of activity in foreign and security policy, and justice and home affairs. In the first edition of this influential textbook, a team of leading lawyers and political scientists reflected upon the important developments in their chosen area over the time since the EC was formed. This new edition continues this analysis ten years on. Taking into account the social and political background, and without losing sight of the changes that came before, in each chapter the contributors analyze the principle themes and assess the legal and political forces that have shaped its development. Each author addresses a specific topic, event, or theme, from the European Court of Justice to Treaty reform; the enlargement of the EU to administrative law; the effect of EU law on culture to climate change. Together the chapters tell the story of the rapid development of EU law - its past, present, and future.
2. Integration, Democracy, and Legitimacy
3. Institutions, Power, and Institutional Balance
4. Powers and Procedures in the EU Constitution: Legal Bases and the Court
5. Independent Agencies
6. The European Court of Justice
7. The European Union from Maastricht to Lisbon: Institutional and Legal Unity out of the Shadows
8. EU Enlargement
9. External Relations and External Competence of the European Union: The Emergence of an Integrated Policy
10. EU Justice and Home Affairs Law (non-civil)
11. Civil Justice - A Newcomer and an Unstoppable Wave?
12. Direct Effect, Primacy and the Nature of the Legal Order
13. Preliminary Rulings and EU Legal Integration: Evolution and Stasis
14. The Vicissitudes of Life at the Coalface: Remedies and Procedures for Enforcing Union Law before the National Courts
15. Three Phases in the Evolution of EU Administrative Law
16. The Evolution of EU Human Rights Law
17. Free Movement of Persons and Services
18. Free Movement of Capital: Evolution as a Non-Linear Process
19. Citizenship: Contrasting Dynamics at the Interface of Integration and Constitutionalism
20. The Principle of Equal Treatment: Widening and Deepening
21. EU 'Social' Policy: From Employment Law to Labour Market Reform
22. EMU - Integration and Differentiation: Metaphor for European Union
23. Competition Law Modernization: An Evolutionary Tale?
24. The Coming of Age of EU Regulation of Network Industries and Services of General Economic Interest
25. EU Financial Regulation: Federalization, Crisis Management and Law Reform
26. The Multi-Level Governance of Climate Change
27. Consumer Policy
28. Culture and European Union Law: Always the Bridesmaid, Never the Bride?