The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary is the world's bestselling advanced level dictionary for learners of English.
Now in its 10th edition, the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, or OALD, is your complete guide to learning English vocabulary with definitions that learners can understand, example sentences showing language in use, and the new Oxford 3000™ and Oxford 5000™ word lists providing core vocabulary that every student needs to learn.
OALD is more than a dictionary. Take your English skills to the next level with extra resources and practice including the online iSpeaker and iWriter, or practise words anytime, anywhere with the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary app.
Trusted by learners and teachers of English for its clear explanations and example sentences, the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary is a world bestseller.
Build your vocabulary
With over 1,000 new words and meanings and a fully revised A-Z with up-to-date example sentences, Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary 10th edition builds English vocabulary better than ever before. The 10th edition features:
• NEW Oxford 3000™ and Oxford 5000™ keywords, graded by level
• NEW OPAL™ (Oxford Phrasal Academic Lexicon) word lists teach academic keywords
• NEW Online topic dictionaries fully revised and graded by level
• Visual Vocabulary Builder including NEW illustrations for topic vocabulary
• 90 NEW Homophones notes help distinguish words that sound the same
Take your English skills to the next level
• Prepare for speaking exams and presentations using the Oxford Speaking Tutor and iSpeaker with pronunciation videos and additional material online – UPDATED iSpeaker with NEW pronunciation videos coming soon
• Prepare for exams (Cambridge, IELTS, TOEIC, TOEFL) and written assignments using the Oxford Writing Tutor including a NEW section on letters and emails and a NEW spread on Writing an article – UPDATED iWriter with NEW sections coming soon
• Use the online iWriter to plan, write and review your written work
• Listen to all the headwords, variants and verb forms in both British and American English accents online or on the app
• Listen to example sentences in both British and American English accents on the app
The dictionary that enhances your teaching
• UPDATED Oxford Text Checker – go online to check any text against the Oxford 3000, 5000, and OPAL written word lists, and create your own gap-fill activities and word lists to use in class
• Online teacher resources including lesson plans, video walkthroughs, and classroom and self-study activities:
o 50 NEW worksheets for topic vocabulary and grammar
o 7 NEW or revised lesson plans with teacher’s notes and worksheets to help you make the most of the dictionary’s features including the A-Z, iWriter, iSpeaker/Speaking Tutor, vocabulary building and Oxford 3000
The most important words to learn in English
How do you know which are the most important words to learn in English? The fully revised and up-to-date Oxford 3000™ word list provides an essential core vocabulary for learners of English graded by CEFR level. Every Oxford 3000 word in the dictionary is clearly marked with a key symbol and all the definitions in the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary are written using Oxford 3000 words. So if you learn and use the Oxford 3000 word list, you can look up and understand the definition of every word in the dictionary.
The Oxford 3000 is the core vocabulary you need up to B2 level (upper intermediate). Now with the Oxford 5000™, we’ve added an extra 2,000 words to take your vocabulary to a higher level (B2 to C1, or upper intermediate to advanced).
And if you are learning English for academic purposes, for example at college or university, the dictionary also highlights vocabulary from OPAL™ – the Oxford Phrasal Academic Lexicon – to help you learn the essential vocabulary for academic writing and speaking.
ISBN : 9780194798495