ISBN : 9780199659654
For years the European Union has been looked on as a potential model for cosmopolitan governance, and enjoyed considerable influence on the global stage. The EU has a uniquely strong and legally binding mission statement to pursue international relations on a multilateral basis, founded on the progressive development of international law. The political vision was for the EU to export its values of the rule of law and sophisticated governance mechanisms to the international sphere. Globalization and the financial crisis have starkly illustrated the limits of this vision, and the EU's dependence on global forces partially beyond the control of traditional provinces of law. This book takes stock of the EU's role in global governance. It asks: to what extent can and does the EU shape and influence the on-going re-ordering of legal processes, principles, and institutions of global governance, in line with its optimistic mission statement? With this ambitious remit it covers the legal-institutional and substantive aspects of global security, trade, environmental, financial, and social governance. Across these topics 23 contributors have taken the central question of the extent of the EU's influence on global governance, providing a broad view across the key areas as well as a detailed analysis of each. Through comparison and direct engagement with each other, the different chapters provide a distinctive contribution to legal scholarship on global governance, from a European perspective.
1. The Legal Dimension of Global Governance: What Role for the EU?
PART I: THE EU AS A LEGAL POWER IN GLOBAL GOVERNANCE?
2. Entrenching Global Governance: The EU's Constitutional Objectives Caught Between a Sanguine World View and a Daunting Reality
3. Why Choose Europe? The Place of the European Union in the Architecture of International Legal Cooperation
4. EU External Relations: The Governance Mode of Foreign Policy
5. From the Nation State to the Market: The Evolution of EU Private Law as Regulation of the Economy Beyond the Boundaries of the Union?
PART II: THE EU AND GLOBAL SECURITY GOVERNANCE
6. The European Union in the Global Security Architecture
7. The EU and the Responsibility to Protect
8. EU Global Peace Diplomacy: Instruments to Support Status Processes
9. International Responsibility for EU Military Operations: Finding the EU's Place in the Global Accountability Regime
PART III: THE EU AND GLOBAL TRADE GOVERNANCE
10. Institutional Aspects of Global Trade Governance from an EU Perspective
11. Expanding the Internal Market: An External Regulatory Policy for the EU?
12. Access to Raw Materials: The EU's Pursuit of Trade Disciplines on Export Control
PART IV: THE EU AND GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL GOVERNANCE
13. Ambition, Complexity, and Legitimacy of Pursuing Mutual Supportiveness through the EU's External Enivronmental Action
14. Contingent Unilateralism: International Aviation in the European Emissions Trading Scheme
15. The Role of the EU in Shaping the Trade and Environment Regulatory Nexus: Multilateral and Regional Approaches
PART V: THE EU AND GLOBAL FINANCIAL GOVERNANCE
16. What Role for the European Union in Shaping Global Financial Governance?
17. The EU at the G20 and the G20's Impact on the EU
18. The Global Reach of the Proposed Financial Transaction Tax Directive: Creating Momentum at the G20 through International Legislation?
PART VI: THE EU AND GLOBAL SOCIAL GOVERNANCE
19. Towards International Migration Governance? The European Contribution
20. Economic Partnership Agreements: Enhancing the Labour Dimension of Global Governance?
21. Conclusion: The Role of the EU in the Legal Dimension of Global Governance