ISBN : 9780199329724
More and more people living with and beyond cancer seek integrative interventions to complement their conventional cancer care. This second edition of the highly successful Integrative Oncology provides the reader with the most updated information available with new chapters on Music and Expressive Arts Therapies, Naturopathic Oncology, and an integrative approach to Lung Cancer. Integrative medicine is defined as healing-oriented medicine that takes account of the whole person (body, mind, and spirit) as well as all aspects of lifestyle; it emphasizes the therapeutic relationship and makes use of appropriate therapies, both conventional and alternative. This series grows out of a need to organize and make accessible to clinicians the basic principles of integrative medicine in practical application to common health conditions. Each volume focuses on a particular specialty and features well-recognized and authoritative editors and chapter authors. The text is presented in an easy-to-read format featuring case histories, clinical pearls, and useful tables, with all key information highlighted. Series editor Andrew Weil, MD, is Professor and Director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona. Dr. Weil's program was the first such academic program in the U.S., and its stated goal is "to combine the best ideas and practices of conventional and alternative medicine into cost effective treatments without embracing alternative practices uncritically."
1. Why Integrative Oncology?
2. An Integrative Approach to Cancer Prevention
3. Molecular Targets of Botanicals Used for Chemoprevention
4. Research Methodology Challenges in Integrative Oncology
5. Diet and Cancer: Epidemiology and Prevention
6. Nutritional Interventions in Cancer
7. Botanical Medicine in Integrative Oncology: What is Known?
8. Cannabinoids and Cancer
9. Botanical-Drug Interactions in Oncology - What Is Known?
10. The Antioxidant Debate
11. Physical Activity and Cancer
12. Massage Therapy
13. Mind-Body Medicine in Integrative Cancer Care
14. Music and Expressive Arts Therapies
15. Energy Medicine and Cancer
16. The Role of Spirituality
17. Naturopathic Oncology
18. Traditional and Modern Chinese Medicine
19. Ayurveda and Yoga for Cancer Supportive Care
20. Anthroposophic Medicine, Integrative Oncology, and Mistletoe Therapy of Cancer
21. Integrative Medicine and Breast Cancer
22. Prostate Cancer: An Integrative Approach
23. Integrative Medicine in Colorectal Cancer: Role of Energy Balance as Treatment
24. Lung Cancer: An Integrative Approach
25. Integrative Therapies in Cancer Symptom Management
26. Alternative Therapies as Primary Treatments for Cancer
27. Communication Issues in Integrative Oncology
28. Tending the Spirit in Cancer
29. A Patient's Perspective