ISBN : 9780199321766
Six million people in the United States meet the criteria for fibromyalgia. On average, they see about four doctors before they were correctly diagnosed, and many were convinced they had a life-threatening illness such as a body-wide cancer. Fibromyalgia is a combination of pain, fatigue, and systemic symptoms. Ten million patient visits to doctors every year in the United States are for pain; $600 billion is spent annually to diagnose or manage chronic pain, including litigation fees. One group has estimated that patients with fibromyalgia run up $20 billion in medical expenses annually. 10% of US adults have moderate pain and 1% have severe pain. 12% have functional disability due to chronic pain. Additionally, at any visit, 15 percent of all patients tell their doctor they are tired. There is a paucity of reliable, detailed information about the fibromyalgia syndrome that patients can use to help themselves or others. This updated edition of Making Sense of Fibromyalgia is written by well known, widely published experts in the field. It distills complex concepts of amplified pain into a easily readable and understandable narrative. This monograph is aimed at college educated laypersons, allied health professionals, patients and treating physicians. Since it was first published in 1999, Making Sense of Fibromyalgia has sold over 100,000 copies. Now updated and improved, this effort should increase one's knowledge of a very complex subject.
Preface to the Second Edition
Fibromyalgia Made Simple: A Parable
1. How Our Understanding of Fibromyalgia Evolved
2. What is Fibromyalgia?
3. Who Gets Fibromyalgia and Why?
4. Why and How Do We Hurt?
5. What's Wrong with My Muscles?
6. How Do Stress, Sleep, Hormones, and the Immune System Interact and Relate to Fibromyalgia?
7. What is the Autonomic Nervous System?
8. Generalized Complaints
9. "I'm Stiff and Achy"-Musculoskeletal Complaints
10. Tingles, Shocks, Wires, and Neurologic
11. Insights into Insides: Chest, Cardiovascular, and Other Concerns
12. What are the Regional and Localized Forms of Fibromyalgia?
13. What Conditions are Associated with Fibromyalgia?
14. Controversial Syndromes and Their Relationship to Fibromyalgia
15. What Happens at a Fibromyalgia Consultation?
16. Are You Sure It's Really Fibromyalgia?
17. I'm Not Crazy!
18. Influences of Lifestyle and Environment on Fibromyalgia
19. The Influence of Exercise and Rehabilitation on the Mind and Body
20. How to Overcome Fibromyalgia
21. Evalulating Medicines that Work for Fibromyalgia
22. Drugs that may be useful in Fibromyalgia Patients: An Overview
23. The Economic Burden of Fibromyalgia, Work and Disability
24. What's the Prognosis?
25. The Future Holds a Lot of Hope
Appendix 1: Resource Information
Appendix 2: Glossary