ISBN : 9780190306380
Teaching Literacies: Pedagogies and Diversity, Second Edition addresses the teaching of literacy in primary and secondary schooling. It provides the foundations for understanding some of the issues and challenges in working with students in the current Australian context. All chapters are theoretically grounded in a socio-cultural perspective of literacy.
The book provides insights into how literacies might be taught, presenting ideas and teaching strategies that are contextualised within the practices of real classrooms along with broader long term goals for literacy learning.
Overall, Teaching Literacies, Second Edition helps pre-service teachers to identify the literacy needs of young people, and to apply their teaching skills to the development of appropriate and effective pedagogies for students from different backgrounds and with different life experiences and expectations.
PART ONE: ENGAGING STUDENTS THROUGH PEDAGOGIES
1. Teaching literacies: Principles and practices
2. Thinking about Planning for Literacies Learning
3. Planning for Literacies Learning: Using Backward Design for an Inquiry Project
4. Literacies Assessment: Theory and Practice
5. The New Grammar for Reading and Writing: Literature in the 'Brave New World'
6. Planning for Literacies Learning in the Arts: A Dual View
7. Planning for the Learning of Literacies Across the Curriculum: Using Authentic Assessment to Engage Students
8. Using Digital Texts to Engage Students
9. Popular Culture in the Classroom: A Plethora of Possibilities
PART TWO: ENSURING LITERACY LEARNING FOR ALL STUDENTS
10. Socially Just Literacy Education: What Could Reform Look Like in Schools?
11. (Re)Focusing the Lens Beyond Deficit: Making Diversity and Difference in Schools Visible
12. Valuing Students' Diverse Language and Cultural Backgrounds: A Multiliteracies Project in a Remote Indigenous Community
13. An Holistic Approach for Supporting Written Literacy Skills for EAL/D Learners
14. Critical Literacy with EAL Learners: Making the Most of Learners' Diverse Languages
15. Literacy Learning for Students in Rural Communities
16. Activating Multimodal Approaches to Literacy Learning in the Diverse Suburban Classroom
17. Teaching Literacies: Pedagogical Possibilities