ISBN : 9780190886080
How did Jews understand sacred writing before the concepts of Bible and book emerged? The Literary Imagination in Jewish Antiquity challenges anachronistic categories to reveal new aspects of how ancient Jews imagined written revelation-a wildly varied collection stretching back to the dawn of time, with new discoveries always around the corner.
Introduction: Beyond Bible and Book
1. The Mirage of the Bible: The Case of the Book of Psalms
2. The Sweetest Voice: the Poetics of Attribution
3. Like A Canal from a River: Scribal Products and Projects
4. Shapes of Scriptures: The Non-Biblical Library of Early Judaism
5. Outside the Number: Counting, Canons, and the Boundaries of Revelation