ISBN : 9780198820291
Deliberative Democracy is a practical method of decision going back to the Athenians. This book draws on practical experiments around the world to show how democracy can make a better connection to citizen voices in a scientifically based, thoughtful way. It draws on the author's experiments around the world in 27 countries. In doing so it deals with the full range of problems facing modern democracies and charts a specific remedy, applied already in specific cases in every inhabited continent. The book deals with democratic theory, the contemporary challenge of populism, distrust of elites, the vagaries of public opinion. It is directed at anyone interested in the challenges facing modern democracies and how they can be dealt with.
Part I: Introduction
1. Party Competition and Its Limits
2. Deliberation and Reform
Part II: Can the People Rule?
1. Four Criteria for Popular Control
2. Four Forms of Democracy
3. Popular Control in Competitive Democracies
4. Is There Democracy for 'Realists'?
6. Elite Deliberation and Popular Control: Madison's Filter
7. Participatory Democracy and Democratic Control: From Town Meetings to Referenda
8. Reflections on the Athenian Case
Part III: Making Deliberation Practical
1. Designing Deliberative Democracy
James S. Fishkin, Thad Kousser, Robert C. Luskin, and Alice Siu: 2. Deliberative Agenda Setting: California In One Room
3. Mongolia: Deliberative Participatory Budgeting
James S. Fishkin, Roy William Mayega, Lynn Atuyambe, Nathan Tumuhamye, Julius Ssentongo, Alice Siu and William Bazeyo: 4. Applying Deliberative Democracy in Africa: Uganda's First Deliberative Polls
James S Fishkin, Robert C. Luskin and Alice Siu: 5. Deliberating European Wide
Part IV: Re-imagining Democratic Possibilities
1. Designs for Deliberation: Where and How?
2. It Works in Practice, But Does It Work in Theory?
3. From Thought Experiments to Real Experiments: Reflections on Rawls and Habermas
4. Deliberative Democracy and Candidate Selection
5. Texas: Connecting Public Deliberation to Policy Elites
6. Connecting Deliberative Designs to Participatory Democracy
7. Deliberating Before Ballot Propositions: Reflecting on the 'Australian Republic'
8. Japan: Deliberation for Hard Choices
9. Deliberation Day
10. Connecting Deliberative Democracy to Constitutional Change
11. Speculating on New Institutions
12. Mongolia Deliberates for Constitutional Change
13. 'Deliberative Authoritarianism'?
14. 'Deliberative Systems' and Popular Control
15. Toward Collective Self-Rule