ISBN : 9780190259150
Twice winner of the Pulitzer Prize, and the first composer to receive the United States National Medal of Arts, Elliott Carter is widely lauded as one of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries' most preeminent figures in classical music and modernism. David Schiff, Carter's former student and lifelong associate, offers here the first full biography and overview of Carter's complete oeuvre. This newest addition to the Master Musicians Series paints with a fine brush the fascinating story of one of America's greatest and most prolific composers.
1. Elliott Carter Now
2. Remembering Mr. Carter
3. A brief life of a very long life
4. A Modernistic Education (1924-1935)
5. Musician, wrestling (1935-1945)
6. Turning Points (1946-1948)
7. Back to Modernism. Back to Futurism. Back to New York
b. An avant-garde composer?
c. Composer in New York
8. Carter v. Poets (round 1)
9. Macro Carter/ Micro Carter
10. Multi-vehicle Accidents
12. Carter v. Poets (round 2)
13. Farewell Symphonies
14. Epilogue: Every note has life in it.
Appendix: Carter's Musical Signatures
1. Chronology of Carter's life
2. Chronological list of Carter's published music
3. Chronology of American composers
4. Chronology of notable premiers of American classical music