ISBN : 9780198810650
- The first stand-alone comprehensive commentary on the SIAC Arbitration Rules, covering the life of a SIAC arbitration from its commencement through to the final award
- Compares the 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016 SIAC Rules to those of other major arbitral institutions to provide an all-round view of SIAC arbitration
- Identifies and considers Singapore law relevant to each rule
- Analyses the legal framework for the conduct of arbitrations and the enforcement of awards in Singapore
New to this Edition:
- Revised and updated to account for the SIAC Rules 2016
- Additional chapter on the SIAC Investment Arbitration Rules (2017), examining the key provisions of the Rules in detail
- Additional coverage of the new rules on multiple contracts, consolidation, and joinder
- Added discussion of early dismissal of claims and defences, as well as improvements to the existing emergency arbitrator and expedited procedures
This is the first text to provide a comprehensive rule-by-rule commentary of the inception, interpretation, and application of the SIAC Rules, written by practitioners with extensive experience in South East Asia arbitrations . Practical and strategic in approach, this book provides useful guidance for practitioners whilst also delivering commentary and thematic analysis to highlight the connections between the SIAC rules and those of other institutions.
The book begins with an introduction to Singapore arbitration, both practical and legal, and is followed by an overview of SIAC arbitration, including the different stages of a typical case and the corporate structure of SIAC. Every rule is then examined in detail on a thematic basis, starting with the commencement of an arbitration and working up to and including the rendering of an award and the determination of costs. This new edition has been fully updated to include the 2016 SIAC Rules, and also contains additional chapters on the new rules on multiple contracts, consolidation, and joinder, the early dismissal of claims and defences, and the SIAC Investment Arbitration Rules (2017). Relevant supporting documents are appended, including SIAC Practice Notes and the SIAC Code of Ethics for Arbitrators.
This book stands alone as a comprehensive exposition of SIAC arbitration, and is indispensable for any practitioner involved in arbitration in Asia.
1 Arbitration in Singapore; 2 Legal Framework for Arbitration in Singapore; 3 Introduction to SIAC Arbitration; 4 SIAC Corporate Structure; 5 Starting the Arbitration; 6 Expedited Proceedings (SIAC Rule 5); 7 Multiple Contracts, Consolidation, Joinder, and Intervention (SIAC Rules 6 to 8); 8 Formation and Challenge of the Arbitral Tribunal (SIAC Rules 9 to 18); 9 The Conduct of Proceedings (SIAC Rules 19 to 26); 10 Jurisdiction of the Tribunal (SIAC Rule 28); 11 Early Dismissal of Claims and Defences (SIAC Rule 29); 12 The Powers of the Tribunal (SIAC Rules 27 and 31); 13 Interim and Emergency Relief (SIAC Rule 30); 14 Awards (SIAC Rules 32 to 33); 15 Costs (SIAC Rules 34 to 37); 16 Miscellaneous Provisions (SIAC Rules 38 to 41); 17 Ad Hoc Arbitration; 18 SIAC Domestic Arbitration; 19 SIAC Investment Rules; Appendices; 1 2016 SIAC Rules; 2 SIAC Investment Arbitration Rules; 3 SIAC Code of Ethics for an Arbitrator (2015); 4 The International Arbitration Act