ISBN : 9780198558224
Mechanisms of Organic Reactions is aimed at first and second year chemistry undergraduates. This authorative and up-to-date overview begins with a chapter in which modern terminology, definitions, and concepts of mechanisms and reactivity are introduced. The following four chapters are accounts of the mechanisms of four of the main classes of reactions of aliphatic compounds. However, rather than simply being presented with the mechanism, the reader is first given the experimental evidence, and then shown how this leads to the mechanistic deductions. With problems at the end of each chapter and a short bibliography this book will be invaluable to first and second year chemistry undergraduates.
1. Description and investigation of organic reaction mechanisms
2. Nucleophilic substitution at saturated carbon
3. Elimination reactions to give alkenes
4. Reactions of nucleophiles with carbonyl compounds
5. Additions to carbon-carbon multiple bonds
Glossary of terms