ISBN : 9780199409112
Winner of The first edition of the book received the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan's 'Best Book Publication Award' in Social Sciences and Humanities (2011).
Based on the concept of charisma formulated by Max Weber and developed by recent writers, this second revised edition concentrates on 'personality-related' and 'situational' factors that led to the emergence of Quaid-i-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah as the charismatic leader of Muslim India and sustained and strengthened him in that role to help create the separate state of Pakistan. While a few authors have dubbed Jinnah as a charismatic leader, hardly any one has defined or discussed the concept of charisma methodically or employed it systematically to analyse his charisma and charismatic leadership. In this sense, the present study is distinct and makes an original and unique contribution to the scholarly literature on Jinnah's political leadership. Dr Roger D. Long, a distinguished American historian on South Asia, thus acknowledged: 'Dr Hayat's analysis of Jinnah as a charismatic figure fills an important lacuna in the field'. Hence, this study will help interested, informed readers to see Jinnah in a new, fuller, and refreshing light. They will see a new Jinnah: The Charismatic Leader!
Preface to the First Edition
1. Towards an Operational Framework of Charisma and Charismatic Leadership
2. Jinnah's Early Political Career: The Emergence of Quaid-e-Azam
3. The Muslim Situation: Systemic Crisis
4. The Muslim Situation: Leadership Crisis
5. The Formula: A Separate State of Pakistan
6. The Political Mobilization and Organization of the Muslims
7. Mission Accomplished: The Creation of Pakistan