ISBN : 9780199654093
Providing the inside track on how the experts approach and deal with real-world clinical scenarios, Challenging Concepts in Emergency Medicine selects specific challenging cases that are encountered in everyday clinical practice but do not have simple answers. A case-based guide to challenging areas in emergency medicine, this book covers the core and sub-specialty areas, in particular the often grey areas of intensive care and paediatric emergency medicine. Complex cases are comprehensively examined from a multidisciplinary perspective with detailed consideration given to management options and the contemporary evidence base behind these decisions. An effective revision aid for MCEM and FCEM and a reference during workplace-based assessments, Challenging Concepts in Emergency Medicine highlights critical information through the use of boxed features: 'Learning points', 'Clinical tips', 'Evidence base', and 'Future advances'. Each chapter has been reviewed by a national or international expert in the field and they have provided an 'Expert commentary', giving a unique insight into how today's opinion leaders confront and deal with the very same management challenges that all clinicians can potentially face on a daily basis. Containing summaries of current national and international guidelines, this book is ideal for continuing medical education and revalidation as well as for trainees preparing for examinations.
1. The Sepsis Resuscitation Bundle
2. Cardio pulmonary resuscitation for the 21st Century
3. Traumatic Occult Pneumothorax
4. Facial Burns and Inhalation Injury
5. Paediatric Head Injury
6. PV bleeding in early pregnancy
7. The Limping Child
8. Corneal Injury
9. Procedural Sedation in the Emergency Department
10. Atraumatic testicular pain
11. Pretibial laceration
12. Complex wrist fractures
13. Fever in the ED
14. Tricyclic Overdose
15. 'The worst headache of my life - is it a no brainer?'
17. Febrile seizures
18. Right lower quadrant abdominal pain in women: Gynaecology or Surgery?
19. Dentofacial Emergencies
20. Safeguarding - recognising the abused child and acting on the evidence base
21. Femoral Nerve Block for fractured neck of femur
22. Sedation and restraint in the ED
24. 'Cocaine chest pain'
26. The Collapsed Marathon Runner
27. Haemorrhagic rashes in children
28. Facial Palsy
29. Back Pain