ISBN : 9780190862886
Rites of the God-King offers a critical revision of mainstream Hinduism from the perspective of the life of a single ritual from medieval India. Drawing theoretical connections to modern ethnographies, it raises questions about the nature of kingship and priesthood, image-worship, and ritual change.
1. The Inception of a Ritual Category
2. The Ritual Culture of Appeasement
3. Varahamihira's Astrological Ritualism
4. Kingship in a Portentous Age
5. Signs in the Gods, Gods in the Pots
6. Ritual Change and the Problem of Presence