ISBN : 9780195596328
Energising Leadership is based on a key idea: that professional leadership is a process of deliberately and transparently influencing the human energy that is available to get things done, how that energy is used, and how it is maintained and replenished. It focuses on the practice of leadership, on leadership-in-action: what people actually do to engage the energy of others in roles and contexts in which leadership work is located. It provides a thorough and useful introduction to the concept of leadership practice and provides concrete ideas on what a leader can do to improve their leadership skills on a tactical as well as strategic level.
1. Energising leadership
2. The energy story and professional practice
3. Connecting the energy story to leadership literature
4. The energy cycle and the contributions of leaders
5. Real time leadership: engaging energies face to face
6. Influencing energies strategically: from a distance, round the clock
7. Dilemmas of leadership: the energy traps
8. Unconscious energies
9. Orchestrating your own energies: Being 'at choice' with your default routines
10. Your energies and your 'value add'
11. Being and becoming a professional leader