ISBN : 9780199380473
A restaurant critic can tell you about the chef. A menu can tell you about the farm-sourced ingredients. Now who's going to tell you about the people preparing your meal? From James Beard Leadership Award winner Saru Jayaraman, Forked is an enlightening examination of what we don't talk about when we talk about restaurants: Is the line cook working through a case of stomach flu because he doesn't get paid sick days? Is the busser not being promoted because he speaks with an accent? Is the server tolerating sexual harassment because tips are her only income? As most corporate restaurants continue to set low standards for worker wages and benefits, a new class of chefs and restaurateurs is working to foster sustainability in their food and their employees. Forked offers an insider's view of the highest-and lowest-scoring restaurants for worker pay and benefits in each sector of the restaurant industry, and with it, a new way of thinking about how and where we eat.
1. Introduction: Why We Are Forked
2. Casual and Family-Style Restaurants: Tipped Over the Edge
The Olive Garden
Vimala's Curryblossom Cafe
3. Fine Dining: The Great Service Divide
The Capital Grille
4. Mexican Food: Climbing the Ladder
5. Burgers, Bills, and No Benefits
6. A Tale of Two Sandwiches
7. The Coffee Cafe: A Place for Debate?
8. Diners: Change Is Possible
Florida Avenue Grill
9. Conclusion: The Road from Here