Motivate your students to
read in English with Oxford
Big Read Competition!
What is the Oxford Big Read Competition?
- Nation-wide reading contest promoting reading in English run by Oxford University Press in partnership with Kinokuniya Bookstore.
Who can enter?
- The competition is open to all students from Junior and senior high schools, and universities in Japan.
When is the competition?
- 1 May 2017 - registration opens
- 15 December 2017 - deadline to submit entries
- 31 January 2018 - winners announced
How can teachers and students take part?
- Students enter through a teacher who assigns and administers the project. Students read an eligible story and create a pop item with artwork and some English text. Teachers choose the 3 best entries to submit for judging.
Why should you participate?
- The competition is a great way to motivate students to read and can be used as a summer reading assignment, club activity or just as a fun reading project.
- One National Prize winner from each of the 5 regions*
- Hokkaido and Tohoku
- Chubu (including Hokuriku, Koshinetsu and Tokai)
- Chugoku, Shikoku, Kyushu and Okinawa
- A winner from each region will receive:
- Student - ¥5,000 book voucher, dictionary, poster, certificate
- Teacher - Graded reader set
- Institution - Trophy
1 winner and 2 runners up will receive a Kinokuniya Gift Card!*
See more details and the entry form here.
Participating stores include
Books Kinokuniya Tokyo / Shinjuku Main Store / Sapporo Main Store / Umeda Main Store / Fukuoka Main Store / LaLaport Toyosu Store / Yokohama Minatomirai Store / LaLaport Yokohama Store / Yokohama Store / Musashi-Kosugi Store / Tamagawa Takashimaya Store / Nagareyama-Otakanomori Store / Hiroshima Store
This campaign is partnered with Kinokuniya Company Ltd.